Engineering Science

Semester-by-Semester Plan »

Campus Student Transition Guidelines

Please understand that these transition guidelines are just that, guidelines. Each campus is unique in course offerings per semester and special nuances that might emerge in the suggested academic plan. As always, it is best to speak with your assigned academic adviser to get advice on scheduling, entrance to major requirements, the change of campus process, and general degree planning.

Students transitioning to University Park at the end of their 4th semester should have appropriate grades (based on degree requirements) in the following courses prior to their first semester at University Park to make adequate academic progress:

  • MATH 140 (Entrance to Major Requirement)
  • MATH 141 (Entrance to Major Requirement)
  • MATH 251 (Entrance to Major Requirement)
  • CHEM 110 (Entrance to Major Requirement)
  • PHYS 211 (Entrance to Major Requirement)
  • PHYS 212 (Entrance to Major Requirement)
  • PHYS 214 (Prerequisite for ESC 312)
  • CHEM 112 (Foundational Elective – NOT Required, but allows program to be followed efficiently)
  • CMPSC 200 or CMPSC 201 or CMPSC 121, if taught in C++ programming language
  • EMCH 211 & EMCH 213 or EMCH 210H
  • EMCH 212 (Prerequisite for AERSP 308H [Foundational Elective Core Option] – SP ONLY
    • Possible to delay, but this is not ideal.
    • MATH 220
    • MATH 230

Students transitioning to University Park should have the following courses completed before or during their 1st semester at University Park to make adequate academic progress:

  • EE 210H (Prerequisite for ESC 400H – Offered Spring Only)
  • Relevant prerequisite courses for foundational electives
  • Relevant prerequisite courses for technical electives
  • ESC 312 (Prerequisite for ESC 419 – Offered Spring Only)
  • ESC 414M (Useful for any foundational electives that need Materials Science background)



The Engineering Advising Center (EAC) serves as the academic advising resource for students in pre-major status (ENGR) at University Park. Once students have been admitted to a College of Engineering major, they will be assigned to a faculty adviser in that major.

Engineering Advising Center

208 Hammond Building

The Pennsylvania State University

University Park, PA 16802

Phone: 814-863-1033