College-Level Petitions (Course Substitutions)

Examples of this type of Petition are:

  • 3-6-9 or Move 3 (Depending on your career requirement term)
  • Substitution of a course for another requirement
  • Petition for transfer credit to satisfy a degree requirement

If you want to request a waiver, exception, or substitution for a general education, entry-to-major, or major requirement course, you must submit a College Petition through the Course Substitution System describing your request and providing a justification. In preparing the petition, you must provide the request and justification in a clear and concise manner, without any ambiguity about the nature of your request.

Once a decision about your petition has been made you will be notified via email and your petition will be attached to your advising file. 

A few important notes:

  • The act of making a request does not imply automatic approval.
  • All College Petitions must be submitted before the beginning of your graduating semester.
  • You are responsible for meeting all degree requirements for your major. 
  • You must provide an academic justification for your request. These reasons are not justifications: graduation, change of major, transfers from other institutions. 

The Course Substitution System should also be used to request adjustments to degree audits for pre-approved variations, for example, the 9-6-3 distribution for GA/GH/GS courses (only after all have been completed), the use of a language course (at the 12-credit level or above to substitute for a GA/GH/GS, etc.

Faculty Senate Petitions

Examples of this type of petition are:

  • Retroactive Withdrawal
  • Retroactive Late Course Drop
  • Retroactive Administrative Course Cancellation

Exceptions from University policies and rules can be requested by submitting petitions to the University Faculty Senate. Instructions for submitting these petitions are available at all campus locations and at the Engineering Advising Center in 208 Hammond Building. 

Petitions from students in degree status at locations other than University Park must be submitted to the appropriate office at the student's location. Students at University Park must submit their petitions and all required and any supporting documents to the Office of Academic Support and the Assistant Dean for Academic Support and Global Programs will forward each petition with a recommendation to the University Faculty Senate.

The University Faculty Senate office will notify you whether the petition was approved or denied, and will follow up with relevant University offices for action, as needed, upon approval of the petition. 



The Engineering Advising Center (EAC) serves as the academic advising resource for students in pre-major status (ENGR) at University Park. Once students have been admitted to a College of Engineering major, they will be assigned to a faculty adviser in that major.

Engineering Advising Center

208 Hammond Building

The Pennsylvania State University

University Park, PA 16802

Phone: 814-863-1033