Extension to Qualify for a Major

If a student does not qualify for a major in the College of Engineering by the time he or she has exceeded both 59 units for GPA and 5th semester standing, it is highly likely that an engineering major is not in his or her best interest. Experience has shown that a major in another college would be more in keeping with the student’s strengths and interests.

In some cases, the College of Engineering will consider requests for additional time to complete the entrance-to-major (ETM) requirements. Since the granting of extra time to qualify for a major is an exception to the College’s policy, all such requests are handled individually and consideration does not imply assurance of approval. Approval or lack of approval will be based on each student’s record and unique circumstances. No extensions will be considered for majors that are under enrollment control. Non-enrollment controlled majors include Architectural Engineering, Biological Engineering, Computational Data Sciences, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Science, General Engineering, and Nuclear Engineering. Requests for extensions involving only one missing ETM requirement will be reviewed by the appropriate department. Requests for extensions involving more than one missing ETM requirement only will be reviewed with significant extenuating circumstances.

To request an extension, a student must complete the Extension to Qualify for a Major form. The submission must include an explanation of the academic difficulties that prevented the student from completing all the entrance-to-major requirements in a timely manner. The student must also explain in this form why the major that is being requested is a good fit with the student’s strengths and interests.

The department, represented by the Undergraduate Coordinator, will determine whether support will be given and under what conditions. In addition to the unmet ETM requirements, the department is likely to ask the student to meet other academic requirements as an assurance that the extension is justified and to demonstrate that the student is more likely than not to succeed in completing the degree. Any additional academic requirements will depend on the department, the student’s unique situation, and the semester for which the extension is being requested.

In almost all cases, consideration for extension support will be made only after the grades are available for the ETM semester. However, students may be informed of a denial earlier.



The Engineering Advising Center (EAC) serves as the academic advising resource for students in pre-major status (ENGR) at University Park. Once students have been admitted to a College of Engineering major, they will be assigned to a faculty adviser in that major.

Engineering Advising Center

208 Hammond Building

The Pennsylvania State University

University Park, PA 16802

Phone: 814-863-1033